Related Articles

LETTER: “I am tired of buying stale food”

S.P - Monday, June 10th, 2013 at 11:48 AM

They say experience teaches wisdom, but it appears as though we have never learned.

Am I supposed to think that those we elect don’t shop in the same supermarkets that we do our buying?

Or, am I to think that they don’t see the price gouging and even worse the stale food that are sometimes on the shelves and in refrigerators for all to see?

Sometimes I must admit that they are not that obvious as I usually discover the staleness when I am at home and ready to cook up a storm or eat up a bellyful.

I say all that to say this: It is time our representatives see the need to set up a proper consumer unit that monitors the operations of these supermarkets. It’s about time they be forced to do the decent thing and stop keeping stale food for display.

Two months ago I got tired of the supermarket in Road Town where I used to shop because of poor service and mainly because of me buying goods and realizing they are spoil after taking them home.

I am so upset and have to write this letter because the supermarket also in Road Town that I started shopping few weeks ago is also selling me stale food.

I am tired of buying stale goods. I am so tired that I don’t even bother to return them for an exchange at times.
Or, maybe I simply don’t have much luck.

I want to know what the government doing to keep these supermarket people in check. GOSH!

Yours Truly

S.P

This article was posted in its entirety as received by bvinews.com. This media house does not correct any spelling or grammatical error within press releases and commentaries. The views expressed therein are not necessarily those of bvinews.com, its sponsors or advertisers.

Disclaimer: BVI News and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the comments below or other interaction among the users. We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit user-generated content at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so or to monitor any public forum. All comments posted on BVINews.com reflect the views and opinions of the commentators and not that of the management and staff. Click here for our full comment/user policy/ agreement.

1. wondering
    June 12, 2013

so government does not want to do anything to insure fresh food for us. . . Instead they raise the departure tax to St. Thomas. . . nice going NDP!

2. Amazon
    June 11, 2013

Amazon will soon start shipping groceries in the US. Maybe we could get them to adopt us? Imagine getting everything they offer within a couple of days.

3. Eagle and Buffalo
    June 10, 2013

One of the tenets of government is to protect the health and safety of the public. As such, it has the responsibility to establish rules and regulations, and provide oversight of , enforce and educate the public on these rules and regulations. Specifically, the rules and regulations in question are for consumer protection.

Consequently, to protect the health and safety of the public, any individual or business that sells food or food products to the public should be licensed, inspected randomly and periodically, fined or licensed suspended for failure to adhere to safety and health rules.

And to meet this responsibility an agency should be established. Such an agency can be called the Consumer Protection Agency with responsibilities that include weights, measures, and product safety, product quality…etc.

Moreover, purchasing products from local merchants is a contract between the customer and the business. The customer meets his/her contractual obligation by paying the stated price. And the business needs to meet their obligation by delivering the value the customer paid for. Good business practices do not end the agreement at the point of sale. Customer satisfaction whether it is in price, cost, service, product quality….etc is what keep customers coming back. Another Responsibility of government is enforcing contracts.

Businesses meet your contractual obligations; government walk softly with a big stick to make sure they do.

4. June 10, 2013

We are now making sure that ALL who are registered at the Trade Department and those who are not, also, THE RICH AND FAMOUS, NOT ONLY THE LITTLE POOR MAN are checkedout.

5. WELLSA
    June 10, 2013

WELLSA, WHEN YOU SEE STALE FOOD ON THE SHELVES JUST CALLED THE PACKER AND SAY THIS ITEM IS EXPIRED AND SHOULD NOT BE ON THE SHELVES AND TOMORROW COME BACK AND IF ITS THERE GO TO ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AND YOU WOULD SEE HOW FAST THEY WOULD COME DOWN.

SO BY YOU GETTING UPSET, REPORT TO ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AND TRUST ME THEY WOULD GET AWAKEN CALLED FOR MAKING PEOPLE EYES OR BELLY SICK.

6. rejected
    June 10, 2013

All of the rejected food stuff are shipped to the BVI cause they can’t sell them in the U.S. Ever notice that we always have the stalest of items, such as crackers, cereals, cookies etc and don’t talk about the fruits and vegetables. They are all rejected stuff. Things can happen at times, but there is a higher percentage of spoilage than that of fresh. We gotta do better and the painful thing is that we the consumers have not sort of protection. None at all so it will keep happening

• Biggs
      June 10, 2013

Not to mention they get them for half price or even better deals and sell them full price here plus 400% mark up. Don’t mention the frozen foods. They get the out dated stuff here again, for as much as 60% off and sell it to us for full rate. Sick sick sickkkk!!!

7. June 10, 2013

This is a very serious matter. It really needs to be looked into. 8-O It’s time we start acting like a civilize society.

8. Jack
    June 10, 2013

You are right. I have a box of spaghetti at home that I bought last week that I cannot use because there is some white gross stuff all over it. I think it will cost me more in gas to take it back to the store and drive back home so there goes my money..

9. islandboy
    June 10, 2013

Shopping for food and beverages can become a day long adventure. You need to plan on visiting at least three food places to fill your needs to cook one dinner.
    Prices are as random as the food on the shelves. No two places have the same pricing but all have the price of food way over the average cost. Even if you add in shipping, duty and delivery the price of food here is very expensive.

I know that everyone needs to make a living but over pricing a product especially one as important as food should be regulated. So we all live with the high cost of food and go about are merry way trying to make the ends meet and feed our families as best we can. But how can we expect to do that when the product we spend so much money for is out of date, riddled with insects or has been defrosted and refrozen?

Just recently I went to the local Whole Sale Store in its big building and purchased some food products.
    When I reached home I opened a box of breakfast cereal and was greeted by flying insects and worms.
    Well sometimes these things do happen so I returned the boxes the next day expecting to just swap out the bug infested cereal for a new batch. When I showed the woman at the checkout counter the boxes she shrugged her shoulders and said that they can do nothing about it. After a bit if back and forth she went to the manager with boxes in hand. After a while she came back and told me that the manager said it was not their problem. Not settling for less I stood my ground and was escorted to the store supervisor. She looked at the boxes and recites and told me to gather two new boxes. So off I went escorted by the checkout woman and two boxes were picked out. When we reached back to the supervisor I opened the boxes and we were all greeted by flying and crawling insects. Her response was of no surprise. The woman who escorted me throughout the half hour long procedure of returning two boxes of bug infested cereal asked the supervisor if she should clear the shelves of the infested boxes. The supervised did not agree and told her that two boxes of bugs don’t mean all the boxes are bad.
    So I managed a store credit after more than an half hour.

Not feeling so satisfied I grabbed my reading glasses and returned to the store for a look see at expiration dates etc. I found many products on the shelves either out of date or within days of being so. I also notice creepy crawling buggers on some boxes of cereal and dry goods.

I then decided to walk next door to the food center for a look see at what might be on the shelves. I opened two boxes of red berry cereal and was greeted with creepy crawling and flying bugs. When I handed them to a store supervisor I was told that I did not have any right to open the boxes unless I purchased them first.
    A gent standing in line said that he purchased some of the same red berry cereal two days ago and almost tossed his cookies because of the worms floating in his milk.

Having my curiosity aroused a bit more I set out to have a good look at what was on the shelves.
    Expired boxed produced, expired can goods, dairy products ready to expire the next day, frozen food products clearly showing that the product fully defrosted and was refrozen. A grand ball room for bacteria to dance.

Now that my curiosity was in full motion I went around the back where the unloading takes place.
    It did not take me long to see a boxes full of frozen goods sitting on a delivery truck in full sun light melting away. This truck is similar to the ones we see delivering goods to stores around the island.
    Trucks open to the elements with no refrigeration to stop the goods from melting.
    Many a time I would see deliveries to a food store in west end and Nanny Cay with melting products sitting in the sun. The other day I went to purchase ice cream at Nanny Cay and discovered that all the ice cream was melted and frozen food products defrosted. A new shipment on an open flat bed truck just arrived. When approached the manager said he was going to throw all the food out. It was still there at days end.

Now that my curiosity was in full swing I decided to make a few calls to see if there was any government body that monitored the quality of the food sold in stores. After many calls and having been passed from government department to department I was told in more ways than one that there is no government body that monitors the quality of the food products that are in stores and sold to the public.

So we can add high cost of out dated possibly contaminated food to the list that includes, raw sewage dumped into the water, no drinking water on island, polluted air from burning garbage, roads cut with no erosion protection and an inefficient ferry service to the list of things we love about the BVI

Welcome to paradise.

• SCB
      June 11, 2013

Environmental Health suppose to deal with the quality of food being sold. Any problems as it relate to food quality should be reported to them.

10. .
    June 10, 2013

We don’t need a special unit for this. Let Public Health get off their lazy backside and fulfil their mandate: protecting public health. Give them something to do for their money.

• hmmmm too
      June 10, 2013

a special unit implemented to monitor standards will not only be for food on the shelves!!!! The Bureau of Standards if implemented will also ensure that you are getting your monies worth at the gas pump, thus ensuring that the pumps are calibrated to standards…that building materials are of high value and the scales at the various business places are calibrated to give you your monies worth in weight!!….proper labeling of consumer goods etc…the supermarket shelves are just a small part of the bigger problem.

11. .
    June 10, 2013

Why is this not part of the Public Health unit responsibilities? Just as they inspect restaurant kitchens they should be doing spot checks on supermarkets for expiration dates, properly cold refrigeration units and vermin. This is such a no-brainer I can’t believe it even needs to be said.

12. Come On
    June 10, 2013

look before you buy and stop whinning

• google
      June 10, 2013

sometimes you open up the sealed packets and all kinds of critters appear. Should we really have to open every packet at the cash desk and inconvenience the persons behind or should we expect to get what we are paying for?

• hmmmm too
      June 10, 2013

@Come On….sometimes you people should only blog when you have something sensible to say!!! the complainant is simply pointing out an issue and a practice that could be and is very dangerous to the health of the general populace…so if she/ he is whining they have the right to!!!!
      i myself have gotten stuff from the supermarkets in roadtown only to find out that when i reach home and open them that they are weevil infested!!! so should i have open the box first and look before i buy? …there is a need to implement a Bureau of Standards to monitor these sort of situations hence protecting the general public.

• Me Too
        June 10, 2013

Opened an expensive box of mueslix last weekend and couldn’t eat it because of the bugs! Of course, like me, most people toss these things rather than taking the time and facing the hassle of returning them, and we don’t usually make a public stink so it doesn’t cost the supermarket either in money or public goodwill. Perhaps it’s time we filled the car park with our bug and worm infested purchases — they might start to see us as important then!

• Anonymous
          June 11, 2013

Better yet, have everyone go inside and purchase cereal, meet out in the parking lot, and have everyone open their boxes at once. Of course have the event video taped from several vantage points. Have it put to music and uploaded on u-tube. If they don’t care about what is fed to the locals maybe when the chartered boat industry customers get wind of who their provisions come from and start considering other islands…..

• Monkey
      June 10, 2013

Oooh, ooh, ooh. I know, I know. They could get the special xray machines that they used to have in the US airports but aren’t using anymore because they were too invasive. Set at least two or three of them up around the supermarket. That way people could xray their sealed goods before they go to the cashier and make sure that there are no bugs, mold, e-coli, listeria, etc. That way you won’t have to hear nor read about their complaints. (Rolling eyes)