Related Articles

NONSENSE: No wastage of music fest funds – Skelton

BVI News Staff - Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Music Fest Committee Event Coordinator

Coordinator of the 2012 BVI Music Fest Rhodni Skelton says from the time he has been associated with the event he cannot say that funds were wasted.

Skelton was asked by the media in a press conference to officially launch the event what he meant when he said that the committee is getting the festival “back on track” this year.

In response, Skelton said he was referring to taking the event out of the enclosed or “caged” area and putting it back on the beach where it originally started.

“Being someone who works in tourism and understanding what the Tourist Board wants to get out of the event, it’s about bringing folks from away here. And I think by going into that caged area, we got away from what we really wanted, so when I say it gone off track, that’s what I was referring to, that we got away from the reason why we doing this event, which is to bring funding into the economy.

“In order to do that, we have to do what the tourists want, we have to listen to them, this is what our visitors would like, this is what is going to make them leave Italy, leave London, leave New York to come to the BVI. They want the beach event; there was no one else doing this event on the beach in our region. Right now Aruba has taken up where we left off and Aruba now has their music festival on the beach the very same weekend,” he said.

Skelton was also asked if at anytime he was also referring to wastage of funds, to which he answered in the negative. He was then asked if to his knowledge funds were wasted in the past. He said: “The time I have been involved in the event between 2000 and 2008,  I can’t say at anytime funds were wasted. We have heard the rumors and I heard the president gave Frank Mahoney his due deserve. Frank Mahoney did started this event, him and his committee members. And I have heard people on the streets and on the blogs saying there was no accountability. That’s nonsense. I can say that’s nonsense for the time that I was there. Frank Mahoney and his committee submitted financial reports every single year on time. I cannot speak to what happenned the last three years but when I was there was no wastage of funds,” Skelton said.

President of the music fest committee Carnel Cline was asked to comment on what the new committee met, in terms of funds, when it took over. He said: “I can’t comment to be honest with you. I was not involved as far as financially. I was more involved as far as administration and organizing. All what I do I call for a cheque and I got it.”

Copyright 2014 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.

1. Fly
    May 3, 2012

You all need to relax!! If you all don’t know it but that same weekend is Memorial Weekend in the US. The big show is in Miami and most of the artist are booked…. Check the entertainment out else where it’s not his fault!

2. Alowisus
    May 3, 2012

I done saving up for St Kitts next month….

3. Tasha
    May 3, 2012

Skelton is bullheaded and the line up is garbage why are having some one like lady saw here agina to tell you how to have sex i think he should have gotten other inputs and not left to himslef alone to decide anything by himself am sure that the people will save go to Aruba and st.kitts for music fest strups nonsence

• Ahhh
      May 7, 2012

Our people are just way too negative about everything. If you don’t like the lineup then simply do not show up. WHy would you put all your negative comments up for the world to see and hide behind the blogs.

Are you giving them more money to get more artists? NO. Are you doing anything to help them out? NO. So just hush!

Last year committee got over $450,000 in money. This committee only got $150,000!

I think they are doing great with what they have. I for one will be down there on the beach partying it up. There is no other event like this one in the region.

4. u tryin
    May 3, 2012

thanks for puttin back on the beach but the line up sucks sorry to say but i wish u the best next year

5. May 3, 2012

the line up dumb where is the jamaican reggea artist ?That will come with the righteous upful word sound to uplift the people .We don’t want no lady saw she is rude and lawless we are not going to enjoy this music fest :oops:

• Sheesh
      May 3, 2012

If you want a Jamaican reggae artist then go to Sunsplash in JA :twisted:

• VILander
        May 3, 2012

Sunsplash??? LMAO U must be old

• May 3, 2012

lmfao this is my tax dollars and other people tax dollars we could have a jamaican artist here :twisted:

6. Never Ending
    May 3, 2012

Give Skelly a break…the man appears to be doing a good job simply by putting the event back on the beach he already won.

7. How about
    May 3, 2012

Curious to see the line item expense for “drinks”. Maybe the committee could go “on the wagon” for this event and save thousands.