A father’s grief – ‘Nathaniel the only son I have … had’

Nathaniel Isaac Jr. (Facebook photo)

By Davion Smith, BVI News Journalist

When Nathaniel Isaac, Sr rang his son’s phone this morning, the last person he expected to hear on the other end of the line was a British police officer informing him that his son was dead.

Nathaniel Jr was found dead in his dormitory at Manchester Metropolitan University in the United Kingdom (UK) today, January 5.

His father and other family members residing in the BVI had been trying to get hold of the 20-year-old since New Year’s Eve. But, all calls and messages went unanswered.

This led a worried Nathaniel Sr to contact administrators at the university where his son was a first-year student.

“I told them we are feeling something is wrong. We are WhatsApping him. He is not responding. That’s not like him. So, they went to check and see what happened.”

That’s when the British Virgin Islander’s body was found, and UK police summoned.

Meanwhile, in the BVI, Nathaniel Sr made a final attempt to call his son. He received the heartbreaking news.

“I had to stay strong to ask follow-up questions so I remained calm. I tried to maintain my composure, and I asked questions that were necessary at the time,” he told BVI News.

“I asked questions like: was there any foul play?”

Police said there were no apparent signs of foul play but the death is still being investigated, Nathaniel Sr noted.

Family broken; only son

As the mourning father spoke with BVI News this afternoon, it was almost unbelievable how cool-headed he remained throughout the interview.

He however said his wife and three daughters are not handling news of his son’s death well.

“They are broken,” he told BVI News.

“We are all going through a lot of pain as you would expect – parents and sisters. We have lost a gem because he was a well-rounded student from primary to high school to college,” Nathaniel Sr said, adding that his son always made him proud.

“Outside of school, he was an outstanding son. I remember him as one of my major investments and he is irreplaceable. That’s the only son I have – I had,” he lamented.

In the meantime, law enforcers suspect that Nathaniel Jr has been dead for two to three days now.

Family members will be travelling to the UK to get further answers about Nathaniel Jr’s death, as well as to return his body to the BVI.

Copyright 2018 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.

1. Resident says:

My heart breaks for this family. I can’t imagine losing a child especially in these circumstances. Please know that many will be praying for your family that God will comfort you at this time.

2. Sigh says:

Lord please show your mercy and comfort

3. My Dear says:

My heart goes out to you Isaac. Stay strong and be courageous in seeking to know and learn the cause of your son’s demise. My prayers and wishes of strength goes out to you and your family. You and your family has made the BVI, your adopted home, proud.

4. SAD says:

I am so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to his family. I pray that God will give them the strength that they will need to get through this. It is so hard to lose someone you love.

5. SAD says:

My heart goes out to this family. It is not an easy thing to lose someone you love. I pray that God will give them the strength that they need to get through this.

6. Reply says:

A parent’s worse nightmare. This is so heartbreaking. A young man in the prime of his life doing what we expect of our children: getting an education, now gone.

Lets us all keep this family in our prayers. May those closest to them offer any support they can to get them thru this very difficult time.

Condolence to the Isaacs’. I am sorry for your lost.

7. Ms wize says:

Oh dear me.. My sincere condolences to the family 😭😭☹️

8. MERCY says:

Stay strong lean not to thine own under standing

9. Sad says:

Sad really sad.keep the faith.

10. Tolian girl says:

What can you say to give comfort to a grieving famil?. There simply aren’t enough words. No parent should have to bury a child. It’s just not right. To the family, friends, loved ones and acquaintances of the young man please accept my deepest condolences. I pray that at this present time you find answers and is comforted by Gods unchanged hands.

11. Diva girl says:

My heart goes out to the family my condolences to them. His aunt Maryann in ST.Kitts is my dear school friend since primary school. I pray god continue to strengthen and comfort all of you.

12. B Savage says:

Well if he had no prior illness then maybe he experimented with some hardcore drug.