DNA before child support

Alvera Maduro-Caines. Fie photo

Alvera Maduro-Caines. Fie photo

Government lawmakers Alvera Maduro-Caines and Dr Kedrick Pickering have welcomed the fact that a man may not be required to pay child maintenance unless it is proven that he fathers the child in question.

The establishment of paternity is among clauses in the brand new Child Maintenance and Access Bill, which was passed last night after amendments were made away from the media’s glare.

“In everything we do, fairness and balance should always be present. And so I am additionally glad to see a section providing for proof of paternity being a must before maintenance is issued to anyone,” Maduro-Caines told the House of Assembly yesterday (March 16) while the Bill was being debated.

The Bill, which must get the governor’s approval before it becomes law, STATES: β€œWhere the issue of paternity of a child arises during the hearing of any application made under this Act, the issue of paternity shall be determined before a maintenance order is made.”

After reading that clause aloud, Dr Kedrick Pickering requested that it be ‘tweaked’ to prevent causing embarrassment for men who are wrongfully accused of paternity.

Paternity, Dr Pickering recommended, should be established before the matter reaches the court.

“My question that I want to raise: Shouldn’t paternity be determined before it actually get into the judicial system? Because you are exposing individuals, and you could be exposing individuals from a private capacity who are innocent. But then they are exposed to a judicial system when their lives are on display… The test comes back negative that the DNA doesn’t match… And you put me through the system of probably incurring expenses – and my reputation also [is being damaged],” added Dr Pickering.

Women to be punished too

Sensus_banner

1. Freedom! says:

Work out the philosophical differences.

Such legislation is timely, if not late in coming into effect.

2. Johnny............ says:

Agree……….100%

3. Wow says:

What they need to add is the deduction from the paternal fathers salary for the child support, because some are in the system and still don’t pay.

• Curious says:

While at it they need put something in place to make sure hold some of these mothers accountable for the monies collected cuz not all the children benefit from the support .

4. smile says:

Mrs Maduro Caines smile as thou she new a lot of father paying for a child that not his πŸ˜€

Strongly agree that man are to to DNA first πŸ˜€

5. good move says:

yeah man! I support a child from time the mother told me she pregnant for me till when the child became an adult and didn’t know it wasn’t my biological child. Da hek hurt.

The mother fully well knew she was with other men, but I knew I was there and I took responsibility when she got pregnant because I a man, and I thought she was faithful to me.

The child still my child and we tight. My proudest moment was to give her away when she got married even though she knew not my blood was thru her vein, but I love her with all my heart.

Women need to stop da dishonest crap de man

6. Facts % says:

a lot of man supporting what ain’t theirs….agreeable

7. ..... says:

All persons presently paying now should be made to have a DNA test done as many men are paying for children that isn’t theirs and the mothers well know. Not fair to the men

• hmmm says:

If them weren’t dey, them name wouldn’t get call.. A woman apple is not free…you either pay going in or coming out…. Lawd aw mussy

8. Shame - kah says:

well, well… my free paper soon done

9. maury povich says:

I want to offer my help to government on this important matter

10. Hmmm says:

Who paying for the test tho

• Young Choc says:

The father is usually the one asking for DNA.

The mother will set up the appointment & if the results show that the man is indeed the father of said child, she will (if she wants to) be compensated when the matter reaches the court (if it does).. hopefully no tax payers money

• Bandit says:

And what is the cost? Will it be covered by NHI?

I guess its a start to a system that trys to bury men every chance they get

12. Junior says:

Is now we going see thing here in tola… uncle joe say he cant wait for this law to pass so he could stop support them kids to see if them kids really his…

But my question is can u take the woman to court to reclaim all his money that he invested all the time gone

13. The Truth says:

lol why man wasn’t testing them children in the first place?

14. Curious says:

@junior that’s a good question I would love to hear the answer to that

15. silly me says:

When a woman gets a child the apparent father needs to be tested so we dont have to worry who she going to give it to.

Sometimes she chooses the man who is of better standing.