.

Generators leave boy, man in hospital

Peebles Hospital

Two male victims – a minor and an adult – were hospitalized last night following two separate freak incidents involving generators.

The authorities are yet to officially say what happened in both incidents.

But BVI News Online understands that the adult sustained severe burns after he caught on fire, while the minor was left with minor burns from electrocution.

Usually credible sources said the incident involving the child happened in the Sand Box area of Tortola around 7pm yesterday.

Relatives reported that the 12-year-old boy was attempting to power a generator at the residence when he sustained electric shocks.

The youngster was brought to Peebles Hospital by ambulance and is said to be in stable condition.

The other incident, which involves the adult victim, is said to have happened on the eastern end of Tortola roughly two hours after the boy’s ill-fated encounter with the generator.

BVI News Online has been told that the adult, believed to be in his thirties, was investigating the fuel in a generator at his Long Look residence when the incident happened.

Highly-placed sources further said the adult sustained major burns to the arms and legs.

BVI News Online was not made aware of the adult’s medical condition up to press time.

Copyright 2017 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.

17 Comments

Disclaimer: BVI News and its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of comments posted or for anything arising out of use of the comments below or other interaction among the users.

  1. Seriously? says:

    Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 16 Thumb down 3

    Why is a 12 year old boy operating a generator?? Where were his parents and why would they allow him to do that?

    • ... says:

      Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

      Sometimes some children are too darn fast.

      No matter how many times you speak to kids and even adults, they do not listen until they feel.

    • Old days says:

      Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 0

      Why is it always blame the parents with ago? When I was 12 I used to raise cattle and run my parents shop. I see no problem with his age. My sons do the same, his have to teach proper safety with everythi by they do.

  2. Hmmmm says:

    Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 9 Thumb down 0

    Gas generators are DANGEROUS!!!!!!! But of course if govt were to put rules out everyone will moan so proceed at your own risk.

  3. where? says:

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 2

    The important question is are the 2 generators involved made by the same company? If it is are the generators defective products. The owners should reach out to the manufactures and see if there was a product recall

    I am woman,not an electrician though, but I also know that depending on the watts to power up and run the generator, if you have too many things..like appliances, lights,washing machine, hair dryers… plugged in at the same time it will fry the electrical cord and i guess the person plugging in the item that over powers it.
    If BVI have a consumer safety division they should get some user guidelines out right away before it happens to others. Owners should also read the operating manual and I emphasize know how much power is need to run what you are plugging in and make sure your little 4500 watt generator can support it.

  4. BitterPill says:

    Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 9 Thumb down 3

    Just inspecting the fuel was he, not being a numpty and filling the fuel tank whilst the gen is running then? The other poor kid probably tried plugging in a loaded cable and got his hands burned. Schools should be teaching basic health and safety / common sense if it is lacking in students.

    • Seriously? says:

      Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 1

      Schools should teach kids how to work generators?? Sounds like you are the one in need of a common sense lesson if you think that’s appropriate…

      • Realist says:

        Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

        Yeah cause it will be along time before power cime back
        .Gennis basics level 1

      • BitterPill says:

        Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

        @ Seriously – Perhaps you have a point. Before teaching common sense and safety awareness, BVI schools should focus on literacy. Because clearly you cannot comprehend what you read.

    • GWEN says:

      Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

      why is it the responsibility of the school to teach basic health and safety? did the school give birth to them? you depend too much on the school to solve your problems,. get with the program. a child only spends eight hours in school. how much time does the parent spends with the child?

  5. Wow says:

    Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 7

    Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

    • Hmmmm says:

      Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

      Easy there sparky! I think if they were to just ‘put power on’ there would be lots more injuries and deaths than from generators.

      Please think before you type! Power can only be restored to areas where its safe to do so.

      Places are deemed safe after relevant inspections.

  6. Hillary Clintoris says:

    Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 14 Thumb down 4

    BVI has more absolute morons than you can shake a stick at

  7. Tolian girl says:

    Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

    BVI please I urge you all. Operating these generators need to be carried out safely and with caution.

    There is a high prevalence of carbon monoxide poisoning associated with them. Please keep them out of your homes at least 15 to 20 feet away from the inside of your house.

    Make sure your homes are properly ventilatated. They can be a necessity but also deadly at the same time. Please take heed.

    In America many people die year after year, right where I’m at an entire family died after using them. Cause of death – carbon monoxide poisoning.

    If it’s not a necessity, please don’t keep the generators running all night. Stay safe everyone.

  8. Realist says:

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

    Yeah cause it will be along time before power cime back
    .Gennis basics level 1

  9. ??? says:

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

    Can you believe a lot of people are running generator all night just to operate a fan? Noise pollution also. LORD HELP US.
    USVI has a law where they cannot be used at nights because of the interruption of people’s sleep and rest.

Leave a Comment

Shares