No deaths on VG, Anegada after Hurricane Irma – Vanterpool

Scene of destruction on Virgin Gorda caused by Hurricane Irma. (Photo credit: Twitter user @xhaii).

Minister of Communications and Works, Mark Vanterpool said there have been no reports of deaths on Anegada or Virgin Gorda resulting from Hurricane Irma.

“I flew over on Friday to Anegada; I landed in a helicopter [and] they are well over there. No casualties in Anegada, no one is sick over there or hurt, and not many houses have been damaged,” the minister said while addressing a group of concerned residents yesterday.

Vanterpool noted that the situation is the same for the Virgin Gorda, except that the damageb caused by the hurricane has been more severe.

“I took a helicopter and we flew over Virgin Gorda. On the far side of Virgin Gorda; North Sound side is very badly damaged and same thing in the Valley.”

“But thank God we haven’t heard of any casualties on Virgin Gorda as a result of the hurricane either,” he said.

No did not address whether or not anyone was killed on the other sister islands such as Jost Van Dyke.

Five people have been confirmed dead as a result of Hurricane Irma which devastated the territory last week.

So far, the names of the persons killed have not been officially released.

Sensus_banner

Truly a miracle 🙏🏻

2. Suzanne lesancheHi, says:

Hi I’m an old friend of Clinton vanterpool of anegada BVI I’m wondering if he and his family and all my friends that are living there are safe and sound at this point. If you could please give a message to Clinton vanterpool to please call me and if there was anything I could do to help I will be there in a day. This is Sue from California of Gary Hennessy and Sue friends of Lowell and Sue Wheatley my phone number is 831 319 3743 I would be eternally grateful to anyone that can get this message to Clinton vanterpool and his family thank you thank you thank you

3. Tony suarez says:

How are McKenzie and Dean & Jenny? Has anyone heard about them? Thanks for any info you can offer. How did the ABC CLUB and their facilities like the TIKI HUTS survive?

4. Shelley says:

Hi this is Shelley in NY. My great grandmother was a Crequy,my grandmother a George, and my grandfather a Potter. My cousin in St Croix was told that a ship came and ordered everyone off the Island and took them to Puerto Rico. Can someone confirm or deny the truth of this information. Thank you.
    [email protected]

• Anegada resident says:

There is no truth to this. Some residents went to Tortola and to VG for hurricane Irma while many residents (including myself) were in Anegada.

5. Corey Owen says:

Checkin on Potter and his family. Anywhere I can go to help contribute to it being repaired? I hope Maria doesn’t hit you guys hard.

6. Loblolly says:

Any damage on Loblolly Bay or Lavenda Breeze?