Residents are being told they have to wait a while longer before the findings of the independent investigation into the fatal police shooting of Santo Hernandez is publicized.
Local law enforcers shot and killed Hernandez on December 6 last year, and the Royal Turks and Caicos Police Force undertook an investigation into the killing.
Governor Augustus Jaspert said he received the findings of the report but said it is not yet ready for the public’s eye.
“I am sure you will appreciate there must now follow due procedural and legal processes to ensure that the findings of the investigation are correctly considered. This must take place before further information is publicly disclosed,” Governor Jaspert said in a media release late Wednesday afternoon.
“But, I can assure you that both the RVIPF Commissioner of Police and I are committed to openness and transparency in this matter,” the Governor added.
Governor Jaspert said he will release the general findings of the investigation “as soon as it is legally and logistically possible”.
He said: “We have a duty to ensure the circumstances are properly investigated, that Mr Hernandez’s family understands what happened and that any recommendations emanating from the report are adopted.”
Police shot Hernandez during one of their operations.
Hernandez died a day later from gunshot injuries.
The Dominican Republic native was one of three inmates that were still at large following a massive prison break after Hurricane Irma last September.
He was charged with the murder of Alston Penn, whose lifeless body was found in a pool of blood on the Windy Hill Road in March 2017.
Copyright 2018 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.