‘Voters have to campaign for me if they want me’

Bishop John Cline. File photo

Former candidate in the 2003 general election, Bishop John Cline has said if the electorate wants him to take up political office, they will have to do the legwork.

“If they want me in politics, they will have to vote me in without me campaigning. They would have to put my name on the ballot and they would have to do the campaigning for me,” he said.

Cline, who ran as an independent candidate under the territorial at-large electoral district, garnered 450 votes. Premier Dr D Orlando Smith and Minister for Health and Social Services Ronnie Skelton were the two who topped the list.

The clergyman told BVI News that he has no plans to become a legislator, adding that it is highly unlikely that he will throw his hat in the political ring again.

He said he will stick to his ministry at the New Life Baptist Church where he is a senior pastor.

National plan needed for BVI

However, Bishop Cline also recommending a national plan for the territory.

He explained that the plan would be a roadmap for the BVI, detailing where the territory wants to be in the future and how it will be achieved.

“What we are lacking, I believe, in the BVI is a national development plan for the general public, the voting population… not a party plan. [We need a plan] that all of us can latch on to and see where we are going,”

According to the bishop, the populace has no clue of the direction that the territory is headed.

“No matter who is in power, there needs to be a national development plan for the future of the BVI,” he continued.

Just weeks ago, the government proposed a five-year recovery and development plan for the British Virgin Islands. Government said the indicative cost to finance that plan is $721 million.

Copyright 2018 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.

1. Chance says:

What did the Lord really call you to do?

2. Interested says:

I do not want you.Go and preach in your church.

3. Velour Track Pants says:

Nah pardna – stay out of politics your reputation precedes you and that is a wolf in sheep clothing we dare not put in-charge. Stay where you are and exercise your lips from your pulpit in Duffs Bottom. We need not more scandals….

4. Reply says:

As I read this article, I could not help thinking about James Cleveland gospel: Where is your faith?

The Bishop wants his cake and to eat it too. In other words, he wants it both ways which he cannot. He need to either piss or get off the potty. Make up your mind Bishop; time is essential. There is lot of campaigning to do.

It’s is also arrogant, very arrogant, and a profile in co—– to suggest that:

“If they (voting public) want me in politics, they will have to vote me in without me campaigning. They would have to put my name on the ballot and they would have to do the campaigning for me,”

plus contradictory and double speaking to then follow with:

“has no plans to become a legislator, adding that it is highly unlikely that he will throw his hat in the political ring again, and “he will stick to his ministry at the New Life Baptist Church ”

The Bishop knows in his heart of heart that he wants to run for political office and itches every time he thinks of it. That’s why he cannot stop talking about political issues.

Apparently, he does not have the courage to try again because he fears another defeat. For a man of the cloth, where is your faith John Cline?

Let me see if I can help you make up your mind Bishop. I actually think you have some good ideas on many issues that can be beneficial to this country. I’ll go further, I think you should run.

However, those ideas such as the national development plan you are suggesting would never materialize the way you see them if you put them out there and stay on the sidelines. Never. That’s not how it works Bishop.

On the other hand, I always have reservations about so called Pastors and Bishops who run for political office as I am liberal on social issues, and am less inclined to vote for such persons.

People who are concerned about individual freedoms and liberties should be as well. Quite often these so called religious people stand in the way of social progress by bringing their religious thoughts to legislation thereby impeding social progress. They often have a conservative social view which rubs me the wrong way.

The Bishop has already made his position clear on some social issues which I disagree with and would be of concern to me. Despite I think he has good ideas on many other issues and think he should give it a try again, I personally will be a hard sell, but not non-convincible. However, I am a singular vote.

Anyway Bishop, if you want to enter politics, make no mistake about it, you are going to have to get your self out there like every other politician that came before you and work for it. People don’t have time for this kind of ambivalence.

No one is going to give you a political office on a silver platter Bishop. If you want it, you will have to work for it like everything else in life.

If not, stay in your pulpit. However, don’t stay there itching and wondering what if. Have courage Bishop; have faith. What would the Lord have you do?

You know as well as I you are not content just preaching down in that church in Sea Cows Bay. You are itching. Scratch for Gods sake.

5. non-belonger says:

nah mate, you’re okay.

6. Ah tired says:

I am just tired of these Clines! I’ve had enough.

7. When says:

the fox couldn’t reach the grapes he said they were too high up the tree.

Now the tree is playing reverse psychology with the fox?

What audacity!!

I never read such nonsense in my life…lol . This man can’t be serious. He is full of it, and then some

9. E. Leonard says:

“[The plan should say:] here is where we are going, this is how we plan to get there, this is the appropriate time for us to get there, and this is the cost for us to get there over that time,” Cline concluded.” Agree. The electorate must demand that this process is in codified in legislation. Once codified only minor changes should be permitted, ie, increasing cost due to inflation, recession, depression, capital projects design changes.

No, Bishop Cline, if you want to get elected, you have to campaign. Even if voters recruit to run for either a district seat or at large, you need to wear out, perhaps, several pairs of tennis shoes campaigning. You need to engage in deep retail politics. Voters need to hear and engaged you on Your message, plan of action……..etc. You need to state if you are successful at the polls what projects you will pursue, how much they will cost, how you will pay for them, the opportunity cost

10. WHAT.. says:

SMH, Glad he feels that way cause we sure don’t need him in office.

11. watcher says:

I am going to demand that people address me as Cardinal in future.

12. Disinterested says:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Does the Bishop reallly believe this crap? Well, may be he believes he is the man, the straw that stirs the drink. Bishop, time will tell if people are really into you. If you want to run, get off your royal a..s and campaign like the commoners. You want to #2 but want someone to bring the poe to you. LMAO

13. WTF says:

So what are you bringing to the table John Cline? When we vote you in and we the electorates ask you to take up the mantra for us, you know what you are going to say John? ” I did not promise that I will work for you”. No John we won’t just vote you in. You have to come better than that, or stay and run your businesses.