Walwyn lauded for ‘excellent job’ amid criticism

Dr Smith: I am not a politician; I am not related to one; I have no vote here on the island, but Minister you are leading the charge and - from where I sit - I believe you are doing an excellent job.”

Dr Smith: I am not a politician; I am not related to one; I have no vote here on the island, but Minister you are leading the charge and – from where I sit – I believe you are doing an excellent job.”

By Horace Mills, BVI News Online Staff

While indicating that he did not intend to dabble in the political affairs of the British Virgin Islands (BVI), Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education in Jamaica Dr Maurice Smith yesterday declared that he thinks the BVI education minister is doing an excellent job and will ‘reap the fruit of his labour’.

He noted that the minister, Myron Walwyn, remained steadfast despite criticisms when he initially announced an initiative to ensure all principals in the territory are licensed.

Walwyn had maintained that the licensure programme is to improve the quality and accountability of leadership across all public schools, adding that educational institutions with better leaders usually do better academically.

To undertake the training programme, the BVI government spent at least US$85,000 to hire Dr Smith and a group from the National College of Educational Leadership (NCEL) based in Jamaica. Dr Smith, at the time, was principal of NCEL – not yet permanent secretary in Jamaica’s education ministry.

Speaking at a ceremony where 19 out of 27 participants were awarded licenses after successfully completing the training, Dr Smith lauded the education minister for having the vision and fortitude to push ahead with the initiative. Thirteen other principals and senior teachers are still undergoing training.

Dr Smith said: “Minister Walwyn, please forgive me sir, but I remember when I came two years ago. At first, there was this push back, and look at us now. You stuck to the task, Minister.”

“I can say this: I am not a politician; I am not related to one; I have no vote here on the island, but Minister you are leading the charge and – from where I sit – I believe you are doing an excellent job,” Dr Smith said yesterday (May 24), and attracted a resounding round of applause inside the Eileen Parsons Auditorium on Tortola.

He further encouraged the education minister: “I want to encourage you, despite the push back, despite the criticisms, you have set the direction, you have charted the course, and you are going to reap the fruit of your labour.”

Dr Smith, in the meantime, urged the 19 licensed principals and senior teachers to be a beacon for their schools and communities.

“Change your schools, change your communities. Do not be a victim of the institution, but rather be a beacon for the community,” he said.

“I want to challenge our principals and I want to challenge our minister, and I want to challenge all here present this evening, whatever it is that you have to do, just get up and do it… There are those who believe that nothing good comes from the Caribbean; there are those who think that anything small is subservient. Well, we have come to dispel that notion this evening. There are barriers that have been put on us as a people, and the Ministry of Education and culture is disproving and dispelling that myth; you are crossing the threshold,” added Dr Smith.

Dr Smith presented a gift to Minister of Education Myron Walwyn, and Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education Dr Marcia Potter

Sensus_banner

1. Well says:

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 17 Thumb down 14

One could bring in anyone to say what mvw wants them to say but we who live here knows better

2. Bvi says:

Schupes. He dont know the real d-vil minister

3. RealPol says:

PS, then why you dabbling in local politics. This sounds like a Donald Trump approach. Trump slings mud or bring up some topic and then pretends he does not want to talk about it, fior other people are talking about it. Could a BVI PS go to Jamaica and dabble in local politics?

• Right says:

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 11 Thumb down 9

But if he said something negative about Walwyn?? Would you have the same reaction?

4. Come man says:

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 10 Thumb down 8

Lord help our country. Why can’t we be glad when our own people are successful? Why are we soo consumed with jealousy? This has to be a sickness.

• Queen Mary says:

“This has to be a sicknes””…absolutely it is a psychological sickness. Those years of bondage with the accompanying brainwashing has left an indelible mark on our people.. Self hatred is a handicap within the mentality of many Blacks in North America and the Caribbean.

5. waylox says:

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 9 Thumb down 7

What you all expect/ Do you know where his PS is from? I will say no more!

6. Come man says:

Not one comment yet congratulating the principals for the achievement but we full speed gone personal because the minister got a compliment. I’m sure we all have children or family members that attend school, shouldn’t we be glad that things are being done to improve things. Are we soo caught up in personal things that we can’t see beyond it?
    And yes, minister Walwyn is doing an excellent job. He is!! Who can’t take the minister getting props then too bad for them. What’s wrong with my country Jesus!!

• Right says:

Then people wonder why the youth are so angry and disrespectful, well, look in the mirror!

7. From where I sit... says:

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 4

“the BVI government spent at least US$85,000 to hire Dr Smith…”

Money do make the fat lady sings “from where I sit”… just another well trained and conditioned stool pigeon. Sing fat lady, how you fooled our people out of their money all the way home.

8. Wake Up Call! says:

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 4 Thumb down 4

What accreditation does this certification has in any part of the world? If any well-known or established certified board or association does not accredit it, it then becomes yet another worthless framed piece of paper to be place on a wall to conjure up a brief moment of emotion. Why do our leaders continue to waste money bringing in these people to continue fooling out our people- and then turn around and call it progress? We really need to get with the 21st Century programs; we are wasting so much money and we are still fallen further and further behind. Wake Up People!

9. RUE says:

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 5

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

10. Wake Up Call! says:

I am still asking the question- what international accredited board, association or institution is NCEL been certified under? Is it the (acronyms) NCATE, TEAC, CAEP, CHEA, HLC, STEP, SPA, PETE, PDS, NSSE, NPT, NPEAT, NPBEA, NEA, NCATE, NAME, LFA, ETS, CQAIE, ATE, AFT, etc.? If there is any training required, it should be done based on international standards. Our teachers should be trained and certified to teach in any part of the world. Until an agenda can be put forward to vision an international standard, we are just wasting time and money and “piece-mealing” our way to appear relevant in the educational arena, with no sustainable educational vision for our people. http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/columns/NCEL-is-really-an-insult_18935299

11. FITTING! says:

Principal deserve to be celebrated! Thanks Walwyn!