BVI News

Thunderstorms likely; watch for falling rocks – DDM

The Department of Disaster Management (DDM) said residents and motorists must watch out for earth-fall from hillsides as heavy showers continue across the British Virgin Islands.

“With the soils in the territory already saturated, additional rainfall can cause ponding on roads, extreme hillside water run-off, increased mudslides, and falling rocks,” said the DDM.

Up to yesterday, residents reported mudslides along the Ridge Road area of Tortola.

The DDM, in the meantime, said forecasters predict a 70 percent chance of rainfall and a 30 percent chance of thunderstorms in the territory today.

The department therefore warned against speeding during these weather conditions.

“Pay close attention to undermined sections of roads. Do not attempt to drive in fast-moving water and caution should be exercised while driving across roads that are not visible due to flooding,” the DDM told motorists.

Copyright 2020 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.

Leave a Comment

Shares