The government said seven emergency shelters will open at noon today (September 5) as a result of the threat being posed by Hurricane Irma.
It said the shelters to be opened are:
1. The Methodist Church, North Sound, Virgin Gorda
2. St Ursula’s Catholic Community Centre, The Valley, Virgin Gorda
3. East End/Long Look Community Centre, Tortola
4. West End Community Centre, Tortola
5. St Georges Anglican Church, Road Town, Tortola
6. New Testament Church of God, Baugher’s Bay, Tortola
7. Claudia Creque Educational Centre, Anegada
The government, in a media release, also urged persons seeking refuge in the temporary facilities to travel with essential supplies.
It added that those essential supplies include an emergency kit well stocked with water, batteries, battery-operated radio, flashlights, medications, and non-perishable food items to last at least three days.
Copyright 2020 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.