The active search for the 71-year-old US citizen who went missing while swimming in BVI waters nearly two weeks ago has been suspended.
Information Officer for the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force (RVIPF) Diane Drayton said the active search discontinued on Tuesday, April 16.
The RVIPF will, however, conduct periodic patrols off Cooper Island and its surrounding areas where the American, Patrick William McLellan, went missing.
Police have had conduct of the search since it was handed over to them by the Virgin Islands Search and Rescue (VISAR) after days of extensive searching.
According to Rescue Coordinator at VISAR, Phil Aspinall, a team of 15 professionals first started their search on the evening of Saturday, April 6 around 4 pm after receiving reports of the disappearance.
“We launched the Tortola boat, the Virgin Gorda boat, the police marine boat and a dive boat from Hodges Creek. He (McLellan) had already been missing roughly two hours when we got the call,” Aspinall said.
“On Sunday, we went back out from 7:30 am until 12 again with the same four boats but also using technology. We started using drones so we had two drones to give us better coverage,” the VISAR representative had further told BVI News.
Copyright 2020 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.