Now that the fire at the Cox Heath dump is out, authorities said they are working to clear the site and return it to pre-hurricane condition.
As the clearing initiative intensifies, the Zebalon McLean-led fire department has returned full control of the site to the Department of Waste Management.
Head of Waste Management, Greg Massicotte said his department is now sorting materials at the dump, and heavy equipment remains at the site to begin crushing metallic waste for shipment off island.
“These works will continue until all the metal is removed from the site,” Massicotte said.
“We expect the first barge to be here within the next 10 to 15 days to remove the metals. The material compacted by the baler along with the derelict vehicles will be taken on that barge,” he added.
The Cox Heath location became the primary site to dispose of debris on Tortola following the catastrophic disasters last September.
Since then, several thousand cubic yards of waste have been dumped at the location.
That waste caught fire on May 9 and burned for more than three weeks.
Authorities officially reported the fire extinguished on Tuesday, June 5. And on that date, Governor Augustus Jaspert deactivated the National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC), which was on Level Two alert.
According to the Department of Disaster Management (DDM), a level-two activation from the NEOC relates to ‘a single localized hazard impacting a large area or a number of people’.
A number of West End residents were forced to evacuate their homes as a result of the volumes of smoke that affected them.
Copyright 2021 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.