Having already infected more than a million persons worldwide and causing nearly 60,000 deaths to date, there is no question the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) is highly contagious and deadly.
The World Health Organisation has said the disease can spread through small droplets from the nose or mouth when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. These droplets land on objects and surfaces around the person, and other people then catch COVID-19 by touching these surfaces then touching their eyes, nose or mouth. People can also catch COVID-19 if they breathe in droplets from a person with COVID-19 who coughs out or exhales droplets.
With three imported cases of COVID-19 already confirmed in the British Virgin Islands, here are some useful steps that can be taken when entering your home after being outdoors:
1. When you come home, try not to touch anything. Remove your shoes, disinfect your pet’s paws if you took them for a walk.
2. Remove your clothes and place them in a bag to be washed.
3. Leave your bag, purse, wallet, keys et cetera in a box at the entry of your home.
4. Have a shower. If you can’t wash all your exposed areas – hands, wrists, arms, neck, nails etcetera.
5. Wash your mobile phone, glasses, with hot soapy water or alcohol or disinfectant.
6. Clean with bleach/disinfectant all the surfaces of whatever you brought from outside before you storing it.
7. Finally, carefully remove and dispose of your gloves and then wash your hands.
Copyright 2021 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.