Disney Cruise Line will be resuming calls to the British Virgin Island in two months.
Russell Daya, Disney’s Executive Director of Marine & Port Operations said Disney’s first call back to the territory will be on Tuesday, August 28.
This comes nearly a year after its last call to the territory.
While making the announcement on Monday, Minister of Communications and Works, Mark Vanterpool said the cruise line’s return will result in a major boost in local tourism.
“We can now state proudly that we are ready to receive the influx of visitors who will come via the major cruise lines, an industry that was extremely viable pre-Irma,” said Vanterpool while underscoring the importance of the tourism industry — the BVI’s second largest revenue-earner.
“Our taxi and tour operators, restauranteurs and vendors depend heavily on this industry for their livelihood and we have been making every effort to ensure that these major cruise lines continue to visit”, he said.
Major cruise lines such as Disney and Norweigan cruises had cancelled all scheduled calls to the territory following the onslaught of the 2017 disasters.
Since then, the cruise lines have been monitoring to the BVI’s recovery in anticipation of their return.
“We have been providing them with regular updates on the clean-up efforts and progress on the restoration of ground transportation and shore excursions on the main islands of Tortola, Anegada, Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke,” Vanterpool said.
The Norweigan Cruise Line is expected to resume operations in the territory in October.
Copyright 2020 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.