Days after closing all local ports of entry to incoming international traffic because of the global coronavirus pandemic, Premier Andrew Fahie said his government now have plans to also bar persons from leaving the British Virgin Islands.
He said officials are scheduled to meet on Wednesday, March 25 to “put an end” outgoing movement.
The Premier said the outgoing traffic had been permitted all this time to allow tourists to leave the BVI. However, he explained that this cannot be made to continue since local ferries that transport these visitors over to the neighbouring US Virgin Islands still have to return. This, he said, opens the territory up to risk.
“We have to have a cut-off point for all of this because we are dealing with people’s lives. The highest risk is our elders, 60 and older. If we keep putting people on the ground, we are putting this territory’s life at risk,” the Premier argued.
And for the time being, any person that is allowed to enter into the territory must go into quarantine for two weeks, Fahie said.
“We have to put our foot down on these things,” he insisted while responding to questions during a press conference on Tuesday.
The ports had officially closed to incoming international traffic on 11:59 pm on Sunday, March 22. This closure is expected to last until Monday, April 6, at which point a decision will be made whether to prolong or lift the restriction.
Copyright 2020 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.