Waste bins overflowing with garbage remained full for considerably longer periods than usual because of the massive fire at the Pockwood Pond dump site on Monday.
This is according to Health Minister Carvin Malone who gave that indication in an interview with BVI News on Thursday.
“One would appreciate the fact that, in the last few days since we had the incident at the incinerator, we had to make sure it was safe before the trucks could come and actually dispose so we got that restored I think it was yesterday (Wednesday, July 3) or day before because the fire was on Monday,” Malone said.
The minister then warned against the ongoing practice of residents dumping construction materials inside these public bins.
He said the practice has become common since a number of property owners are now rebuilding their homes and businesses that were damaged or destroyed during the September 2017 hurricanes.
“People are always encouraged not to put [their construction waste] on the outside of the bins but to take them to the safe disposal in Pockwood Pond. However, people have violated that in many ways and then they fill up the bins,” Malone stated.
He said this practice has given some residents a false perception that the bins are not emptied daily.
“On any evening, the bins should have been emptied. But within hours you would see that a lot of the construction material comes in and it would make it look as if nothing was done.”
Some residents had taken to social media site Facebook earlier this week to voice their concerns about what they describe consistently full waste bins in their respective districts.
Malone has since made it clear that garbage truck operators have been given the go-ahead to resume collecting and disposing of waste to the island’s dump site.
Copyright 2020 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.