An appeal has been made for crowdfunding for a young man, Kawa Williams, who suffered extensive head and body injuries during a recent motor scooter accident on Fort Hill, Tortola.
Roughly 18 hours ago, former teachers of Williams created a GoFundMe account seeking $12,000 for his medical expenses in Colombia.
The details posted on the page states that the youngster suffered a “fractured skull which is impairing movement on the right side of his body”.
“The ligaments in his knees are torn and need to be reconstructed in order for him to walk again,” the creators of the page said, adding that this type of surgery cannot be executed in the territory. He must be flown to the Spanish-speaking South American country to conduct the operation.
The statement copied to the GoFundMe account also indicated that the National Health Insurance (NHI) would be covering 80 percent of his surgery expenses, leaving the remaining 20 percent for his mother to cover.
“It is our desire to help her cover this amount as well as other expenses she’ll encounter while being in Columbia with him,” the statement read.
“We’re asking for the help of our community near and far. Anything you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance.”
Some $1,501 has been generated so far.
Copyright 2021 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.