Junior Tourism Minister Archibald Christian has sought to set the record straight about his absence at The Queen’s annual Birthday Parade in the territory.
The chairs which had been reserved for several legislators, including Christian, had remained conspicuously unoccupied at the AO Shirley Grounds where the parade was held last Saturday, June 9.
However, the junior minister said, like Premier Dr D Orlando Smith and the Health Minister Ronnie Skelton, he too was on official business abroad.
“I spent a week in New York with the Director of Tourism Sharon Flax-Brutus, the Deputy Director of Tourism Rhodni Skelton on OECS and CTO business for the territory. I returned on the night of the 9th of June,” he told BVI News yesterday, June 12.
However, up to press time, Christian did not respond to questions on whether he would have opted to attend The Queen’s parade had he been in the territory that day.
Acting Premier Dr Kedrick Pickering, Education Minister Myron Walwyn, and Opposition Leader Andrew Fahie were the only legislators present at the function.
The usually widely-supported parade also yielded a considerably small number of participants and spectators this year.
This notable small turnout comes on the heels of a controversy in which the United Kingdom is forcing the BVI to implement what are known as public registers of beneficial ownership.
BVI is now accusing the UK of ‘constitutional overreach’.
Copyright 2021 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.