PRESS RELEASE: The Department of Disaster Management is advising persons living in close proximity to Cox Heath and who may be impacted by the smoke, particularly the elderly, children and individuals with respiratory illnesses to take extra precautions to avoid exposure:
- Persons living extremely close to the affected area should consider leaving the area if possible.
- Outdoor activities should be limited to avoid unnecessary exposure.
- Reduce exposure to smoky air by remaining indoors with windows and doors closed, or in air-conditioned premises with vent system to re-circulate to prevent outside air from moving inside.
- If you have asthma or a lung condition and you develop symptoms such as shortness of breath, coughing or wheezing, follow your asthma action plan.
- If the symptoms do not settle seek medical advice.
Smoke particles can cause itchy or burning eyes, throat irritation, coughing and bronchitis. It can also aggravate existing lung conditions such as chronic bronchitis, emphysema and asthma.
Please visit the Department of Disaster Management website at www.bviddm.com and its social media pages on Facebook and twitter for more information.
Copyright 2020 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.