Premier Andrew Fahie has debunked claims that he may have come into close contact with the family of the young lady who tested positive for the coronavirus after leaving the territory for St Vincent and the Grenadines last week.
Addressing the House of Assembly on Tuesday, he said the matter was furthest from the truth.
“There is so much things out there. I went Jost Van Dyke and I hear that I was by the person where they were staying and whatever the case may be and I had lunch there, and I didn’t even eat Jost Van Dyke. Pure untruths,” the Premier stated.
He said he spent a ‘couple hours’ on the sister island and returned to Frenchman’s Cay on Tortola.
“I didn’t make no contact because I was so conscious of what was happening and I’m hearing a WhatsApp out. This is what I’m talking about. I don’t want to get into these things. Just misinformation! As if going JVD is a crime. As if I should feel bad about going JVD and not tell the truth about what happened when I went JVD,” he said.
Premier Fahie added that he has already had a talk with medical officials in relation to his health. However, he is aware that “this country is long on rumours and short on facts”.
Premier’s comments were made following a voice note as well as social media posts that has been circulating about his recent trip to the sister island.
Jost Van Dyke has been placed under 24-hour lockdown for the next seven days. This is being done as a precautionary measure to prevent or minimize any potential spread of COVID-19.
Copyright 2020 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.