The monies that will be saved from scaling down the Virgin Gorda Easter Festival this year will be used to pay outstanding bills owed to vendors from last year’s staging, Culture Minister Myron Walwyn has said.
The ministry initially budgeted $100,000 to host this year’s festival.
“Based on what we decided to do, which is the gospel fest, the food fair with some entertainment, and the picnic with some entertainment, I don’t even think we would utilize a half of that amount of money,” Walwyn told BVI News.
“Virgin Gorda would have outstanding bills from last year so the difference out of that money ($100,000) would go towards paying outstanding bills,” he added.
The ministry announced Monday afternoon (February 26) that the main event at Easter Fest, which is the festival village, has been scrapped.
This is in recognition of the post-hurricane circumstances still affecting the BVI, the ministry explained.
The culture minister claims he made the decision to scale down festival more than a week ago after consulting with members of the Virgin Gorda community.
“We know that there are different views – some people want it others don’t. So, we struck a balance between the two,” he told BVI News.
The findings of a BVI News survey published last week revealed that majority of residents were against the event being held this year.
Sixty-three percent of the 162 residents invited to participate in the survey were against the festival.
The other 37 percent of respondents wanted the event to be held.
Copyright 2020 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.