While confirming the death of the territory’s latest coronavirus patient, the Health Emergency Operations Centre (HEOC) and other national governing bodies have convened emergency meetings.
The HEOC made that announcement just before midday on Saturday, April 18.
It said Cabinet, the National Security Council and the HEOC have called these meetings “to consider immediate, medium and long-term measures required to keep everyone safe and informed”.
“Further information by the Governor, Premier and Minister of Health & Social Development would be communicated through a live media [broadcast] at 1 pm,” the HEOC said its statement published on social media.
As for the dead 52-year-old female patient, the HEOC said she was treated at the Dr D Orlando Smith hospital in accordance with “standard clinical protocols”. It did not describe what those protocols were.
Local Health authorities said they are now in contact with the now-deceased woman’s family.
PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED STORY
Information reaching our news centre is that the female patient who tested positive for the coronavirus days ago has died.
Highly-placed sources told our news centre that the woman died some time Friday night, April 17.
The patient, who is said to be a national of the Philippines, had been in the Isolation Ward at the Dr D Orlando Smith Hospital in Road Town since Health Minister Carvin Malone announced that she tested positive on April 16.
Prior to the woman’s reported death, Premier Andrew Fahie said local authorities have been taking precautions in relation to who the woman had been in contact with and where she lived.
“The Minister of Health has already asked for that whole area to be quarantined, circled and everybody tested [to] make sure that we get to contain that there is no community spreading. As I speak they are moving in on it. They have already tested seven persons who tested negative,” the Premier said in the House of Assembly on Friday.
As for individuals she may have been in contact with, at least seven persons of interest have been identified so far.
Those seven persons have also been tested locally but their results have returned negative. The Ministry of Health is now awaiting official confirmation from the Caribbean Public Health Agency in Trinidad.
Efforts to reach Health Minister Carvin Malone has been unsuccessful. BVI News understands that he has been called into an emergency meeting concerning the matter.
Copyright 2021 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.