Health Minister Carvin Malone has said that the two returning nationals who were suspected of having COVID-19 have returned negative test results for the virus.
Malone said in a national broadcast Sunday evening, June 28, that they were tested at the Dr D Orlando Smith Hospital laboratory upon arrival on Saturday, “as a precautionary measure to verify whether any of the two persons under investigation were currently carrying the virus although neither of them had exhibited symptoms of the disease”.
“The decision to conduct the test at the beginning of the 14-day quarantine period resulted from reports reaching the Ministry of Health that the two travellers had reportedly been exposed to the COVID-19 virus while overseas,” Malone explained.
Based on government’s re-entry protocol for returnees, both travellers will be retested at the end of their 14-day quarantine period before being approved to reintegrate into the general public.
Following release from quarantine, returnees are advised to self-monitor for an addition 14 days and report any coronavirus-related symptoms to government’s medical hotline at (284) 852-7650.
268 returning nationals so far
As of the time of Malone’s statement on Sunday, 268 nationals have returned to the territory since government restricted the reopening of the territory’s borders.
“It is important to note that tests are being done on returning nationals. The Ministry of Health have conducted tests on 169 returning residents and all residents and all test results of these residents have returned negative,” Malone said.
Only two persons from that number are not yet approved to exit quarantine.
The minister, in the meantime, said it is likely the BVI may have returnees who become exposed to the virus. He, however, assured that the Ministry of Health is equipped and has protocols in place to handle any such instance.
Two locals believed to be carrying COVID-19 land in BVI
Information reaching BVI News are that at least two returning nationals believed to have tested positive for the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) have arrived in the territory.
Highly-placed sources told our news centre that the individuals were travelling from Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic when they were tested in-transit and found to be carriers of the virus.
BVI News understands that they arrived on Seaborne Airlines at the TB Lettsome International Airport on Saturday, June 27 after another airline, who reportedly administered the test, denied them from travelling on their aircraft.
The persons in question were classified as asymptomatic, meaning they were showing no symptoms of COVID-19.
They have since been taken into quarantine.
BVI News will bring you more information on this developing story as it becomes available.
Copyright 2021 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.