BVI News

Water back 70% and electricity back 90%

Premier Dr D Orlando Smith during a tour of affected communities

Premier Dr D Orlando Smith has announced that 90 percent of the British Virgin Islands (BVI) again has electricity, while 70 percent now has access to water from the territory’s supply system.

He made the disclosure in a statement last evening – nearly a week after a tropical wave battered the BVI and disrupted the different utility supplies.

“We now have 70 percent of the territory with access to clean and potable water, and we hope to get back to full coverage within the next few weeks as different areas are being repaired,” the premier said.

He further stated that water has been restored in Brandywine Bay to McNamara, Ridge Road – from Hope Hill into Cane Garden Bay via Windy Hill, and Josiah’s Bay.

“I am pleased to say that water supply in Anegada, Jost Van Dyke, North Sound, and West End is stable,” added Premier Smith.

He, in the meantime, stated that all communities should have power by toady, August 12.

“As it relates to the electricity supply, the last update received from the BVI Electricity Corporation indicated that we now have 97 percent of the territory with power, and we hope to get the remaining 3 percent restored by Saturday,” Premier Smith said.

Copyright 2021 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.

Leave a Comment