Son of a well-known businessman, Kalik Aaron has been acquitted of all charges stemming from an incident in which more than $800,000 cash was found inside a vessel on which he was travelling last October.
Aaron, a crew member on the vessel, and boat captain Anthony Anglo were charged with ‘untrue declaration’ and ‘failing to declare monies to Customs’.
The trial commenced on June 23 this year and concluded on July 1 when Aaron’s attorney, Reynela Rawlins made what is known as a ‘no-case submission’ to the court. This argument effectively states that there was no real evidence against her client.
She argued that the Prosecution failed in its duty to establish that Aaron had knowledge of the cash which was located inside a bag stashed in a hatch on the vessel in question.
On Tuesday, Senior Magistrate Tamia Richards upheld the defence attorney’s argument; thereby resulting in Aaron being freed. A decision will be made on his co-accused, Anglo on July 31.
The court heard that about 2:30 pm on October 19 last year, the accused duo entered the West End Ferry Terminal on a 30-foot speed boat.
They reportedly only declared some motorcycle helmets on a Customs declaration form and allegedly said ‘no’ on the said form in response to the question of whether they were in possession of cash amounting to $10,000 or more.
The court heard that during a search of the vessel, a black duffle bag was found in the bow of the boat containing the cash.
When confronted, both men allegedly denied knowledge of the cash, the court heard. The police were then alerted, and the men were arrested and taken to the Road Town Police Station where they maintained they had no knowledge of the cash.
During an interview, Anglo reportedly said they were transporting the helmets for Aaron’s father. However, his co-accused, Aaron, refused to participate in an interview.
Acquitted on an attempted murder charge
Notably, Aaron was similarly acquitted of a ‘conspiracy to commit murder’ charge and the attempted murder of Dhakeme Cheltenham back in 2016.
Aaron was freed after the nine-member jury involved in his trial returned with an eight-to-one majority verdict at the High Court.
Copyright 2020 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.