Health Minister Carvin Malone has said government will address an concerns relating to how the BVI Health Services Authority (BVIHSA) handled the incident in which a single COVID-19 patient died at hospital last month.
Malone gave that assurance while responding to questions during a press conference on Tuesday, May 12.
“This place is always going to be long on rumours and short on facts. The fact is, we had a person who passed. We have sent condolences to the family, and we want to make sure that we respect the person in all regards in this,” the minister said.
He continued: “If there are any issues that are unknown, unresolved, it will be done in a professional manner. Surely, it would not be done here in a press conference.”
When questioned about claims that the now-deceased patient was turned away and whether the BVIHSA is to be blamed for the death, Malone condemned the reporter who raised the issue.
“You are the press and a grown adult, what kind of question is that? If the hospital is to be blamed, if there were any concerns, they would be addressed,” Malone stated.
The dead patient was a 52-year-old female native of the Philippines.
Copyright 2021 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.