The total number of persons who have tested positive for the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) in the British Virgin Islands has now climbed to eight.
Health Minster Carvin Malone made that announcement during a national broadcast moments ago.
The minister said Case Number 8 is the only positive sample among the total 22 that was sent to the Caribbean Public Health Agency for testing most recently.
“Case Number 8 had been kept under quarantine as a close contact of a previously-announced case and has exhibited mild symptoms of the disease,” Malone said in the Thursday, May 18 broadcast.
“I am pleased to report that the primary case has now been declared fully recovered. We extend our prayers and best wishes for a full and rapid recovery of Case Number 8 as the sole active case,” he added.
The total number of BVI samples that have been tested for COVID-19 so far, now stands at 157; with 149 returning negative. Of the remaining eight positives, six have recovered, one has died and one remains active.
“The detection of this new case reminds us all that we must remain vigilant and take all recommended precautions to protect ourselves and our loved ones from this deadly virus. It is real,” the minister said.
Malone, in the meantime, has extended commendations to members of the Health Emergency Operations Centre, the staff of the Dr D Orlando Smith Hospital, the government, and the entire civil service for their role in combating the COVID-19 so far.
He also thanked the general public for their cooperation.
Copyright 2020 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.