Two cruise ship calls scheduled for August 15 and 16 have been cancelled as a result of the tropical wave that caused widespread flooding and landslides in the territory last week Monday, August 7.
Premier Dr D Orlando Smith said his government made the decision after careful consideration and consultation with the Recovery Advisory Group and industry stakeholders.
“While the territory is open for business following the rains on Monday, cleanup and recovery efforts continue to address damage to critical infrastructure in the short-term, while continuing the long-term strategy of upgrading key infrastructure throughout the territory.”
“After considering the volume of visitors expected from the calls, we agreed that our infrastructure, key attractions, and beaches needed additional time for full restoration,” Premier Smith explained.
He further stated that the territory hopes to welcome the affected ships in the near future.
“It is important that our recovery efforts continue to ensure that we provide lasting memories of the BVI for both visitors and residents alike. Our agencies and residents are committed to a stellar BVI guest experience, where we meet and exceed expectations in Nature’s Little Secrets.”
“We look forward to welcoming the ships back to our shores on their next calls scheduled for August 29 and 30,” Premier Smith said.
He continued: “I thank all the government agencies, private contractors, the private sector, volunteer organisations, and members of the public for their collective and commendable efforts as we continue as ‘One BVI’ to make significant progress with finalizing our recovery and returning this part of paradise to a state of normalcy.”
Copyright 2021 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.