Two more COVID-19 cases have been detected in the British Virgin Islands, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 66.
The Ministry of Health made the announcement in a statement released minutes before midnight on Friday, September 11.
He said these two latest cases had been tested among a total 34 persons. Meanwhile, among the remaining 32 negative results were seven new recoveries, Health Minister Carvin Malone reported.
With the increase in recoveries, the Cabinet of the Virgin Islands met Friday evening and agreed for the territory’s curfew order to be amended to allow all businesses — with the exception of a select few — to operate as of September 12 between the hours of 5 am and 1 pm daily.
The businesses still not permitted to operate are salons, hairdressers, barbershops, restaurants for in-service dining, bars, nightclubs, and pubs.
The ministry said those businesses are to remain closed “until further notice”.
As for the businesses now allowed to operate, they will be subject to inspection by the Social Distancing Monitoring Task Force and certification by the Environmental Health Division.
“Although we are still on curfew, I want to again thank the public for their cooperation and assure them that the Government is doing all that it can to make the best decisions with everyone’s best health and interest in regard,” Malone stated.
Cabinet will meet on September 15 to further review the territory’s COVID-19 safety protocols.
Confirmed cases – 66
Active cases – 28
Recoveries – 37
Deaths – 1
Number of Persons Tested – Over 4,000
Copyright 2021 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.