The recent increase in COVID-19 cases in the British Virgin Islands has delayed the official announcement of the date decided for the new academic school year in the territory.
This according to Deputy Premier and Minister for Education Dr Natalio Wheatley who confirmed with BVI News that Cabinet had decided on a date for the new school term prior to the new recent COVID-19 cases.
He said: “Given the case that we have, I want to hold off before I make an announcement. I plan to make a statement on it once I understand what’s happening with this particular case.”
In a local interview earlier this month, Dr Wheatley had stated that the proposed plan for the new school year was to implement a blended system of learning to include a shift system at select schools across the territory.
At the time, he also said the tentative date on the table was September 21 but was not yet decided by the Cabinet.
Measures to destigmatize COVID-19
In the meantime, Dr Wheatley told BVI News that measures are being undertaken in the education system to alleviate the stigma attached to COVID-19 in the BVI.
He said: “Definitely in the education system I can say as we prepare to go into the reopening of schools that we are going to have continued measures, as we have put measures in place before to provide psychosocial support and education about COVID-19.”
“We will make sure that the staff are trained, parents receive the information they need and students as well have a proper orientation about COVID-19 and how we deal with it in society and certainly encouraging them that there’s no need for stigma,” he added.
The BVI currently has a total of 17 active COVID-19 cases.
Copyright 2021 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.