A twelfth COVID-19 case has been detected in the British Virgin Islands, bringing the total number of active cases in the territory to three.
Health Minister Carvin Malone said in a public broadcast Wednesday night, August 19 that this latest case presented at the emergency room at the Dr D Orlando Smith Hospital with ‘moderate symptoms’ earlier that day.
The patient has since been hospitalised and isolated.
In the meantime, visitation hours and all other privileges have been suspended at the medical facility. Malone said all staff members who came into contact with the case have been traced and are being assessed.
Case not imported but a community spread scenario
Stating that the patient has no recent history of travel, Malone further said a rigorous contact tracing effort is now underway.
“Analysis is being conducted to determine the level of exposure by each contacted staff member. The apartment building where the case resides is being quarantined, aggressive contact tracing of all close contacts of the individual has commenced and is being accelerated,” the minister said.
“The bars and nightclubs to which the individual has frequented has been identified and aggressive contact tracing continues by the health team,” he added.
The third floor of the hospital has also been converted to an isolation ward that is equipped with previously-procured ventilators.
The Health Minister said the public will be advised of any measures that may need to be put in place to protect public safety.
Copyright 2020 BVI News, Media Expressions Limited. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.